Bloodmoon - Supportforum

Go Back   Bloodmoon - Supportforum > Game & Support > Help & Questions

Notices

Old 14.03.2012, 17:25   #1
Alpharaine

Send a message via Yahoo to Alpharaine
Default Weapons question

So as I've played, I've noticed that some weapons have a range of say 180-400 then I get another weapon that is say 260-350. Does the weapon with the greater range of damage mean that you only do the higher amount of damage if your strength stat is up? Which would seem to make the weapon with the shorter range a better weapon even if its # is not as high. I hope I explained that well enough.
Old 14.03.2012, 18:00   #2
Jaxem

Nope you can do damage at both ends of your weapons range it's just luck of the draw on that. If you prefer to do consistent damage take the closer range weapon, if you prefer to have the chance at high hits, which also means you end up hitting low sometimes, then go with higher damage.
Jaxem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaxem For This Useful Post:
Old 21.03.2012, 03:03   #3
Liz Summers

Personally, I have always added the two numbers up and divided by half to get a mean damage level. But also important besides the visible damage values is your stats added on. A weapon that has 2-6 extra damage but loses a bunch of strength will actually end up causing you to do less damage for example.

In general it is a balancing game between extra stats and extra damage with the best players able to make choices based on just instinct, or as a result of other equipment they already have.

That being said, I will admit that right now I have 2 weapons and am unable to decide between them. 247-593 +203 strength is what I have been using, however I just received an elite weapon from a world mission. The damage and strength stinks but the overall stats are way improved at 234-550 +88 strength, +88 willpower, and +88 constitution.

Avg dmg weapon A is 420, weapon B is 392. Total stats weapon A is 203, weapon B is 264. Major conundrum that one.

Once she led a happy life... until vampires entered into it. Now it is her life's quest to rid the world of as many of the demonic beings as she can until the day some big bad has his 'one good day'.
Liz Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Liz Summers For This Useful Post:
Old 21.03.2012, 19:09   #4
Jaxem

I would take weapon A personally (if you were asking for opinions that is). And your calculations for average damage is perfect, however, average does not mean that it will be the damage you always do. It's important to remember that the average damage just means that given a large enough sample of hits they will average that number. You could consistently hit high, low or always all over the place. Just luck on that one

Edit: I wasn't saying that for you Liz but clarification for others who may not have quite understood
Jaxem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaxem For This Useful Post:
Old 23.03.2012, 10:52   #5
Liz Summers

No problem, Jaxem, I completely understand.

However, I would also like to point out to everyone that, while it is indeed completely luck whether in a particular fight or even in several fights in a row whether you will get consistently high, low, or middle damage hits, in the long term these things average out.

For anyone who has never had any training as a statistician, the larger a sample size the more likely you are to see results that tend towards the mean or average damage.

Take a coin toss as a much simpler example. You have only 2 possible results unlike the ranges of damage we get with weapons. Every toss will either end in either a head or a tail. You might in 10 tosses actually get a number far away from the middle. After 100 tosses the number should be much closer to the middle, and by the time you get to around 10000 tosses of that coin it should be close enough to the middle that the amount of variation would be completely negligible.

However, as Jaxem pointed out, even though in the long-term these things even out, on short durations you could have a sudden "cold" or "hot" streak and then another and another.

So I urge everyone to not base their decisions on which weapon is better by simply putting a weapon on and because of instantly seeing a damage increase or decrease in the short term make a decision on whether that weapon is good or bad. Base your decisions on 2 things if you want the best possible results for yourselves over the course of your career in this game... stats given by the weapon, and average damage of that weapon.

The only reason to worry about the size of a weapon's damage range is if you are the type of person who completely hates chance and wants to be absolutely sure that you will hit for exactly a certain number in a certain fight. If that is your personality type then it might be in your own best interrest to go with a smaller ranged damage even though you will suffer a long-term penalty to damage dealt compared to another weapon with a higher average.

Once she led a happy life... until vampires entered into it. Now it is her life's quest to rid the world of as many of the demonic beings as she can until the day some big bad has his 'one good day'.
Liz Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24.05.2012, 17:27   #6
<3Less

I think the averaging is a good idea in some ways. And as for which weapon to choose, id have chosen the elite. The stats were much higher, though you suffer a drop in strength. Its always like that though, yet, that drop in strength also meant you had more survivability. So it should even out (Id hope)

As for damage, i prefer a smaller range. A weapon doing 10k to 30k damage averages 20k damage long term. A weapon doing 15k to 25k also averages 20k long term, however, i will never hit as low as you, and never hit as high. Its preference in many ways, would you rather have a chance at hitting higher, or have a consistent higher base of damage to deal?

A weapon that does 25k to 55k damage averages 40k damage, and yet a weapon that does 40k to 45k averages 42.5k. Long term, even though it does 10k less on max, it does 15k more on min, and averages 2.5k more damage per hit.

There are a few ways you can think to balance your weapons, but its all based on probability, and there are no certainties except uncertainty when it comes to probability. Use what you feel works, and remember, its just a game, so if you decide it doesnt work as well, try a different weapon and judge for yourself. Lol.
<3Less is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to <3Less For This Useful Post: