Bloodmoon - Supportforum

Go Back   Bloodmoon - Supportforum > Community Area > Fanart, Stories & Poems

Notices

Old 26.09.2011, 12:38   #1
marisaellene

Post Avalaide: A Hunter's Tale

A/N So...I feel a little weird about posting this because no one has posted here yet, but I'm going to. This is probably going to be a very lengthy sort of story. I will note that I made a slight change to the hunters. There are still human hunters, but there are also some not-so-human hunters. I did this after thinking that I needed a reason for my hunter to get beat up and killed in battle and then, bam! be just fine. So..yeah. That's about it.

I probably do need to figure out a better way to post, otherwise my posts will be...giant.

Comments appreciated!

Part One

Avalaide moved quietly through her room as she gathered her gear, trying not to wake her sister. Her sister, having been blessed with the superior senses of a hunter, woke anyway. Evangeline sat up slowly in her bed and eyed her sister through hazel eyes. “Going out?”

“Yeah, Nathanial wants me to check something out.”

“Anything interestin’?”

“A couple business partners o’ his been killed off. He wants me to see if there’s somethin’ supernatural about it.”

“Hm.”

Evangeline rolled out of bed and stretched. Avalaide heard her sister’s shoulders crack. “How ‘bout I come along?” she asked.

Avalaide shrugged. “Whatever you want.”

Evangeline began throwing on clothes as Avalaide retrieved her cowboy hat from a corner of the room and placed it crookedly on her head. “I don’t know why on Earth you wear that stupid thing,” said Evangeline.

“Because it's epic!” Avalaide exclaimed, quick to defend her precious hat.

Evangeline rolled her eyes. “Not on you. It takes a special kinda person to pull off a cowboy hat ‘n look 'epic'.”

“Oh?” Avalaide asked, waving a hand with too sharp, too long nails at her sister.

Evangeline snorted. “Oh, please, you don’t even use your claws or teeth.”

“That’s because most of the things I fight have stronger claws ‘n teeth than I do.”

Evangeline rolled her eyes. “Yes, they do, but there’s nothing like the feeling of ripping through flesh with your teeth and feeling the warm blood running down your throat.”

“You worry me, sometimes. You know that?”

“Sure I do,” replied Evangeline, adjusting the belt which held her knives.

Avalaide cracked a smile and pushed open the door. “So how far are we goin’?” asked Evangeline, following.

“Not far. It’s about three miles away.”

“Lucky,” said Evangeline. “The last midnight run I did was in freakin’ New York.”

“Oh, please. You hate Mobile; you were probably ecstatic at gettin’ an excuse to leave this dump.”

“Naw. Helen had me goin’ to some sorta fancy party ‘n crashin’ it. I spent five hours walkin’ ‘round in these ridiculous heels and some sorta sparkly dress.”

Avalaide snorted at the thought. It wasn’t often that ‘Evangeline’ and ‘dress’ were in the same sentence. “So’d ya get to kill somethin’?”

“Oh, yeah,” said Evangeline. “Werewolf—biggest one I’ve ever seen.”

“Bigger than the one we took down on Government Street?”

“Heck, yeah.”

Avalaide whistled. “Impressive.”

Evangeline smirked and shrugged noncommittally. The two continued their walk through the downtown area, darting between old houses. It was a nice autumn evening with just the faintest hint of a breeze. Fog hung thickly over the roads, obscuring nearly everything from view. “Looks appropriately creepy, doesn’t it?” joked Evangeline. “All we need now’s a creepy storm.”

Avalaide nodded in agreement. “So,” said Evangeline. “These people. Ever met ‘em?”

“No. I’ve heard of ‘em before, though. They’re Matthew ‘n Pamela Dukes, very old money family—been in Mobile for years. They had some connections with Abraham Lincoln durin’ the Civil War, so unlike mosta the people here, they didn’t have their property taken after the war ended. Matthew’s runnin’ for governor, or somethin’.”

“Got it. Been in the paranormal long?”

Avalaide shrugged. “Dunno. He’s on good terms with Nathanial, though.”

“Hm.”

“That’s our house up ahead.”

The house in question was huge. Surrounded by a cast iron gate, it was a large white building with three floors. Elegantly carved and beautiful balconies adorned the outside. Avalaide noted the old, tempered glass windows with appreciation. “Nice place,” muttered Evangeline.

“Yeah.”

“Give me a leg up, will ya?”

Avalaide cupped her hands together. Her sister put a foot in them and hoisted herself up and over the gate, rolling to her feet. “Ya gonna try climbin’?” Evangeline asked.

Avalaide had always been the more flexible and agile one. While Evangeline was freakin’ strong, she wasn’t the sort who was very good at climbin’ or scalin’ things. That was the difference between them. When there was a target that needed takin’ out, Avalaide climbed the side of the building and snuck in his house; Evangeline smashed down his front door. Avalaide leapt and caught her nails in the metal bars. Mentally counting to three, she jumped upwards over the gate and rolled to her feet as Avalaide had done.

“Nice,” said Evangeline.

Avalaide offered her a grin, and the two sister crept towards the building. Evangeline had the better sense of smell, and Avalaide waited, crouched in the hedges while her sister smelled around them. Nodding as an indication that they weren’t about to be ambushed, the two approached the stairs leading up to the porch. Evangeline didn’t smell anything and glanced toward Avalaide, seeing if she, having stronger hearing, heard anything. She hadn’t.

Evangeline lightly stepped on the porch and tested the doorknob. Avalaide remained hidden. Her sister didn’t open the door, so Avalaide assumed it was locked. It took only a few seconds for her sister to pick the door open with her nails and peer inside. She beckoned Avalaide forward.

Avalaide crept after her older sister, hunter eyes adjusting quickly to the darkness. The house was nice, all hardwood with a spiraling staircase to one side and a large, crystal chandelier hanging overhead. Avalaide tested the air. She smelled blood and fear, along with the faint tinge of something vaguely supernatural. She looked toward Evangeline for confirmation.

Her sister hissed. “Hunter,” she whispered.

Avalaide nodded, working not to betray her surprise. Generally, hunters didn’t kill humans. Their entire order was created on the basis of protecting mankind from supernatural threats—whether those threats be vampires, sirens, werewolves, or even the occasional fairy. Still, hunters often did encroach on one another’s territory, and many of the masters and mistresses shared business partners. It wouldn’t be too weird for more than one hunter to be sent to investigate something. Avalaide was determined to find out more than the other hunter.

“Stick together?” Avalaide whispered.

Evangeline nodded. The sisters moved stealthily through the shadows, using their senses. Evangline had a superior sense of smell, while Avalaide’s hearing and sight were superior. Together the pair made their way through the house, methodically, silently passing signals to inform the other that nothing was amiss. Finally, they came to a room where the Dukes’ murders had occurred.

The bodies were in the morgue, where Avalaide figured she’d have to go next. Their blood was on the ground, covered in the stench of a hunter. “I smell pine,” muttered Evangeline. “It’s not a hunter from around here.”

Avalaide nodded, her eyes searching the blood spatters on the ground. “Done with teeth ‘n claws. You been here before, Evangeline?”

Her sister smiled, revealing her too sharp teeth. “I’d rather have your blood, dear sister.”

Avalaide resisted the urge to shiver. For a hunter to have blood lust was common. That blood lust was entirely different from a vampire’s in that hunters didn’t actually need blood to survive. Avalaide, herself, could never get around the repulsion she felt at the blood staining her teeth, and she rarely drank it. Evangeline, however, had no such qualms, which worried Avalaide sometimes.

If she offered Evangeline blood, her sister would agree far too quickly to do whatever she wanted. “There’s another hunter,” said Evangeline, sounding curious. “One of ours. Young.”

“Younger than us?”

“Yeah, I’d say so.”

“How much?”

Evangeline sniffed the air and licked her lips. “Hm. More than five years, less than ten. Let’s go with seventeen-ish.”

Her sister crept around the room, her nostrils flaring. She stopped suddenly and cast her eyes toward me, mouthing, One’s still here.

Avalaide silently hefted her bow, fitting an arrow into it. Her choice of weapon had often been criticized by her fellow hunters. Arrows were effective against the undead, but silver bullets and crossbows were better. Avalaide, though, preferred her bow, partly because it was silent and partly because she liked the feeling of her muscles stretching as she pulled back the string. They moved into another, old-fashioned parlor looking room. The fireplace was covered in family photos.

Avalaide tread towards the fireplace, while her sister investigated the other side of the room. There were photos of the Dukes, featuring a beautiful brunette woman with large brown eyes and pale skin and a rugged looking man with brown eyes. There was a kid in some of them, with brown hair and blue eyes. Avalaide pondered at the quirk in genetics. That must’ve been their son.

Avalaide hadn’t known they’d had a kid and wondered what he must think of the whole thing. Had he even known? Most of those who meddled in the paranormal told their kids, but Avalaide knew people who didn’t. Her sister hissed softly, a subtle way of saying, Hurry up, though Avalaide knew if her sister said what she was thinking aloud, it would’ve been much more colorful.

The dining room and kitchen had nothing of interest in them, so the sister moved on to the second floor. The scent of hunters washed over Avalaide. She heard Evangeline growl softly. Hunters had been sent to investigate, then. She wondered whose they were.

Avalaide paused in the hallway, her adrenaline spiking suddenly. Someone was inside still. It smelled like their hunter, the familiar one, the one who smelled like saltwater and the city. Avalaide’s sudden stillness caught Evangeline’s attention. Jerking her head toward the noise, Avalaide crept closer to the closed door.

The heartbeat had sped up. Evangeline grinned and took a few steps forward before kicking the door. The wood splintered beneath her, and there was a surprised yelp from the other side of the door. “Real subtle,” muttered Avalaide.

Her sister didn’t retort. She’d lunged into the room and was fighting with a brown-haired—oh, crap. “Evangeline!” Avalaide yelled, dropping her bow on the floor. “Stop that! That’s their son!”

Avalaide grabbed her sister’s arms, hauling her off the struggling boy. Blood dripped from her sister’s teeth and the kid’s neck. Of course, Evangeline had gone for his neck. Three or four good bites from a hunter in the neck would kill a human. Vampire bites only took two tries. A werewolf could rip half your neck off with one. “He’s a hunter!” hissed Evangeline.

Avalaide stared at the kid. Blood no longer gushed from the wound, and he was healing as quickly as a hunter did. His teeth and nails weren’t sharp, though; they were as blunt as any human’s. He certainly didn’t smell human, though. The kid clearly wasn't human, though, not with that sharp, spicy sort of smell that stung Avalaide's throat. "You're a hunter," said Avalaide. "You file your nails and teeth down, don't you?"

He glowered at them. “Get out of my house.”

Avalaide released Evangeline, who laughed throatily. “Get out? You killed your parents, kid!”

“I didn’t!”

He jumped up from the floor and clenched his fists. “I didn’t do anything!”

“Wait,” said Avalaide. “If you didn’t kill your parents, who did?”

“I don’t know. I wasn’t here.”

“That’s what we’re trying to figure out,” said Avalaide, trying to sound soothing. “Do you know what we are?”

“Hunters.”

“Yeah, that’s right,” Avalaide said, offering a hand. “Avalaide Owens. This is my half-sister Evangeline.”

He hesitated before shaking her hand. “Logan.”

Evangeline burst into laughter. Avalaide raised an eyebrow. “Seriously, kid?” she asked. “Logan? Oh, that’s too funny.”

“I don’t get the joke,” said Avalaide.

Evangeline snickered. “Logan. You know—like Wolverine? He’s like a hunter with the metal skeleton? All you need to do's give the kid some metal.”

“Hilarious,” replied Logan, rolling his eyes.

“Well, I thought it was funny,” grumbled Evangeline. “It’s not my fault no one gets my sense of humor.”

Deciding to ignore Evangeline, Avalaide smiled gently, though from the look on the kid’s face, she thought her pointed teeth might’ve ruined the effect. “So what’re you gonna do, kid? You cain’t stay here.”

“I’m not. I’m leavin’.”

“Ya got a place to stay?”

“No.”

“I could get ya a place if ya wanted.”

He shook his head, casting a wary glance towards Evangeline. “No thanks. I’ll find my own way.”

“Pansy,” muttered Evangeline.

Logan shook his head and stormed off. “Hey, wait!” Avalaide called after him.

He looked over his shoulder. “Ya gotta phone?” Avalaide asked. “If I find out who did this, you’ll want to know, won’t ya?”

He hesitated before reaching into his pocket and pullin’ out his phone. He pressed a few buttons and frowned. “Put yourself in. I don’t have any idea how to spell your name.”

Avalaide took his phone and typed in her number. “Good luck, kid,” she said, handing it back.

“Yeah. You, too.”

Avalaide watched him walk away before turning back to Evangeline, who was still licking the kid’s blood off her chin. “Ya up for a trip to the morgue?” Avalaide asked.

Evangeline grinned. “I’m always up for a trip to the morgue.”
marisaellene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marisaellene For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanfic, story