Bloodmoon - Supportforum

Go Back   Bloodmoon - Supportforum > Game & Support > Strategy & Tactics

Notices

Old 07.10.2011, 12:11   #1
Wolfling

Default How to choose your missions

First, the tl;dr version; explanations and caveats follow.

1. If a mission offers a bloodstone (and you aren't spending real money to buy more), take it.

2. If a mission offers an item that is a clear, significant upgrade, take it.

3. Take the fastest quest.

4. In case of a tie for fastest, take the quest in the city where your reputation is lowest.

5. In case of a tie in city reputation, pick the quest that offers more gold if you've been losing a lot of battles lately (or want to donate to your guild). Otherwise, pick the quest that offers more experience.

--------------------

That's the simplified version. In reality what I've found best is a bit more complicated than that. You want to look at two factors: the city each quest is in (scour the quest text), and the length of time the quest takes.

Most of the time you want to take the fastest quests possible, but sometimes you may want to take a slower quest because it's in a particular city. It's a bit of a balancing act.

The City

Here's how the city factors in: go to your world map. Hover over each city and you will see a 'reputation level' and text saying which kind of item that city produces: weapons for New York, jewelry for Paris, and so on.

Now look at your character. Is there an item slot which is particularly weak? You'll want to do missions in the city that makes that item, as much as it's reasonable to do so.

As far as I can tell, it is currently a bug/feature of the game that it is impossible to have a reputation level anywhere near your character level in all seven cities. The 'goods on offer' text is going to go yellow and then red sometime in your upper teens, no matter what you do, and the gap will keep widening.

You can prioritize a single city and keep it higher (for example, New York for weapons, or Paris because it affects two slots instead of one), but you really don't want to have one or two cities much lower than the rest, because then you're going to have a crappy belt, or shoes, or whatever. So try to keep them all pretty even, within a couple of levels of each other, inasmuch as the offered missions will cooperate.

The Time

There are three reasons why shorter quests are better:

1. They level you faster through the 'completed mission' achievement medal, which gives you stat bonuses.

2. You get a reputation upgrade, and therefore a chance at better gear for that slot, with every two missions in one city. Two four-minute missions give the same rep as two twenty-minute missions.

3. You have more chances per day for bloodstones or item upgrades from missions.

Experience vs. Gold

This is the last and least important tiebreaker, and is subject to significant effects from both potion bonuses (experience) and guild bonuses (experience and/or gold). But with the current game balance, I find that if I ignore the gold/xp ratio, my character levels too quickly for my stats (and *way* too quickly for my rep/gear). So all else being equal, I pick gold over experience. Your Mileage May Vary.

Last edited by Wolfling; 07.10.2011 at 15:38. Reason: altered gold v xp instructions
Wolfling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Wolfling For This Useful Post:
Old 07.10.2011, 12:43   #2
Cm3

Oh wow. I had totally overlooked the relation between the missions and the reputation in each city. Thanks!
Cm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07.10.2011, 12:51   #3
lie

I think you have a very good base here, the problem is that if you always go gold over exp, you will find yourself, falling behind the pack both literally and figuratively.

Higher level quests offer more gold, better gear and more money on grave digger. Your stats may not be as high as your level per se, but your income will balance that out as long as you don't level too fast. You just need to find the balance.

Many people fell into this rut in Shakes and Fidget and became kind of stat gods around level 80-100 on Server 3 US because they went high gold/low xp. They are impossible for a new character to defeat as they level through that area. The problem is the new character just chooses all high xp quests for a while, gets past them and then goes back to hybrid leveling.

A new character can wing past into their 50's in a week here with little effort and a few bloodstones, then focus on statting and catch up quite well due to the increased income there.

Truly, I thank you for the post, I just think that a hybrid of gold/xp is a better choice for surviving quest mobs while leveling, but also getting high enough to see the larger cash and gear rewards that come with higher levels.
Old 07.10.2011, 13:00   #4
Wolfling

I don't disagree with you Lie, which is why I had all the caveats and listed gold-over-xp as the last, and therefore rarely-used, tiebreaker.

I just personally found, at least up to my current level (mid-40s) that I got more xp than I needed in the normal course of things, and was occasionally lacking for gold. (Of course, I was donating a lot to the pack, but by the same token the pack was giving me gold bonuses, so ... not sure whether that has been a net win or loss.) But everything you say is also true.
Old 07.10.2011, 13:02   #5
Karocet

Thanks for explaining the relation between which missions you choose and your reputation in the city on the world map.

I'd thought it was connected to where your world map missions were, which was out of your control. That didn't make sense, but the location of the castle missions does.
Karocet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karocet For This Useful Post:
Old 07.10.2011, 13:04   #6
iTZKooPA

Send a message via AIM to iTZKooPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm3 View Post
Oh wow. I had totally overlooked the relation between the missions and the reputation in each city. Thanks!
A lot of people miss that aspect of the game.

To the OP:
I take, and recommend, XP over gold.
iTZKooPA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iTZKooPA For This Useful Post:
Old 07.10.2011, 13:14   #7
lie

I do too, iTZ, though I think luck was punishing me for that today. 13 failed missions, the last to a mob with 2625 willpower, what a day.
Old 07.10.2011, 13:52   #8
Ksana

I support XP quests as well (mostly based on SF experience).

I've never made my choice based on missions locations, but I've been tracking my reputation levels from day 1. After 2-3 days of leveling my reputation levels were 20+ lvls below my level. But later, after 50 lvl, the reputation gap started decreasing (I didn't change my quest choosing pattern). Now my best rep is only 9 lvl behind my lvl, other cities are 12-15 lvls below. It takes more quests to get to next level at higher levels, so reputation gap decreases.

I have only one city which reputation almost didn't improve (still 23 lvls below). That's because I usually fail missions to that city. The majority of roadblockers (2 stats over 1600 or 3 stats over 1200) for me lives in Yukatan.
I don't know if this is just bad luck, or game scenario.

I see the point in choosing shorter quests, but still XP/minute should be the priority, imo. There's only one case when I prefer shorter quest with worse XP/minute to a longer one with better XP/minute: when long quest best XP/minute is below my average. So I'd rather choose short quest than suffer absolute XP loss on a realatively better (XP/minute) long quest.
Ksana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07.10.2011, 13:59   #9
Roo

Send a message via AIM to Roo

I always take gold over experience, to start because the gains from Gravedigger pale compared to smart questing. Not to mention I can contribute to my clan while focusing on my stats rather evenly so I'm not outmatched from the get-go, and the focus on Clan Treasury grants a nice boost to gold as well (in the long run.) Later on, I tend to focus on Experience because the clan gold boost is augmenting what it would lack without, and the levels make Gravedigger shine out in the end.

And as for the selecting your city. How do you do so? Clicking on them did nothing, didn't "re-roll" my quests or anything. Is it simply the world mission you're currently on? I got a little confused by that.

The Name's Roo.
The MASTER of TL;DR. [Too Long;Didn't Read]
Started Bloodmoon: Oct. 1st, 2010
Currently On: US Server 2
[I deleted my US/UK Server 1 Characters]
Hoping to find some good friends and have a good time.

Last edited by Roo; 07.10.2011 at 14:02.
Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roo For This Useful Post:
Old 07.10.2011, 14:07   #10
Ksana

I started play SF, US server 1, more than 6 months after server launch. I've never balanced, I took XP only quests from the very begining.
I'm still 20 lvls behind the highest level player on server, but I'm not weak. I got rank 3 in personal HoF today.
Ksana is offline   Reply With Quote